The Bay Area has 137 trail camps and they provide some of the region’s last refuges of peace.
In addition, 52 sites at seven great trail camps in the Santa Cruz Mountains will open May 1.
Here are the top 10:
1. Sunset hike-in, Big Basin Redwoods
2. Tomales Bay boat-in, Point Reyes National Seashore
3. Wildcat, Point Reyes National Seashore
4. Sky Camp, Point Reyes National Seashore
5. Pantoll walk-in, Mount Tamalpais State Park
6. Angel Island backpack, Angel Island State Park
7. Stewart’s, Ohlone Regional Wilderness
8. Kirby Cove, Marin Headlands:
9. Steep Ravine, Mount Tamalpais State Park
10. Butano Trail Camp, Butano State Park:
The story that appeared in Sunday’s Chronicle details each of these campgrounds and parks, contacts and provides a complete list of trail camps in the greater Bay Area region. Read more:“Top Bay Area Trail Camps — plus all the rest.”
Never get stuck again for a camp: The 2013 edition of my book Moon California Camping published this week.
What sets you free? Hike. Bike. Camp. Fish. Boat. Wildlife watch. Explore.
Never get stuck again: See new edition of California Camping, published April 16, 2013 at: Moon California Camping.